Electric vehicles (EVs) are high on drivers' minds these days with rising gas prices and global warming concerns. As emissions from gas-powered vehicles begin to wreak havoc on the environment, General Motors (GM) has committed to building affordable, long-range EVs. This is reflected in their plans to launch 30 new EVs globally by 2025.
EVs offer many benefits over traditional gasoline-powered vehicles, which is why many drivers on the hunt for a new car are now considering them. Some of the benefits are obvious, but there are other reasons why EVs are a good choice.
1. Fuel Cost Savings - EVs do not require gasoline, so you save money by never stopping at the pump. When factoring in the price of electricity, drivers will spend approximately one-third to charge their EV compared to filling it up with gasoline.
2. Environmental Friendliness - EVs have zero tailpipe emissions, so they do not emit pollutants into the air when in use. Depending on the electricity source used to charge the vehicle, an EV's lifecycle emissions will also typically have an advantage over similar gasoline-powered vehicles.
3. Lower Maintenance Costs - A more efficient electric motor means a reduced maintenance schedule and lower maintenance costs. There is no oil in an EV that needs to be changed on a regular basis, and there are fewer fluids that need to be flushed and refilled.
4. Better Performance - EVs have faster acceleration and typically more horsepower than their gasoline-powered counterparts thanks to the electric motor. In addition, the lighter weight translates into better fuel economy and quicker acceleration times.
5. Government Incentives: Public and private incentive programs make EVs more affordable to buyers. For example, the Government of Canada offers point-of-sale incentives ranging from $2,500 to $5,000 for consumers who buy or lease an EV.
One of the best ways to realize all the benefits of an EV is to choose from the range of GM electric vehicles available in Canada.
GM Electric Vehicles
EVs, as their name suggests, rely solely on electric power. The lack of a gasoline engine means they produce zero tailpipe emissions, and they offer an impressive driving range depending on battery size.
GM offers several EVs for sale across Canada, with more added to the lineup in the coming years. EVs are also available for leases, which might be a good option for those on the fence about whether an EV provides enough range and power or have questions about charging logistics.
Here are a few models that could fit your needs.
Chevrolet Bolt EV and EUV
The Chevrolet Bolt was introduced in 2017, and over 13,000 models have been sold in Canada since then. Redesigned for 2022, the Bolt offers a budget-friendly way for drivers to get into a long-range EV. The Bolt offers up to 417 km of electric range and seating for five and premium enhancements to the exterior and interior designs.
Chevy also introduced the new, all-electric 2022 Bolt EUV alongside the redesigned 2022 Bolt EV. The EUV offers SUV-like proportions to better meet the needs of individuals and families who need more passenger and cargo room. The Premier trim level will be the first Chevrolet vehicle to offer Super Cruise, a hands-free driver assistance system for divided and compatible highways.
GMC Hummer EV
The GMC Hummer EV comes in both pickup and SUV models, which will allow you to dominate any terrain with insane capability. Both versions feature a uniquely innovative and convenient cabin that offers luxury with the stipulation that these rugged materials can withstand the elements you bring in from the outside.
The pickup truck version offers up to 1,000 horsepower, while the SUV doesn't lag far behind with 830 horsepower. Both can accelerate to 97 km/h in less than 3.5 seconds when properly equipped and offer up to 11,500 lb-ft of torque. For drivers that want a capability that has never been seen before, the GMC Hummer super-truck and SUV models are the vehicles to consider.
Another new GM EV offering is the 2023 Cadillac Lyriq. This streamlined and forward-thinking SUV is a truly luxury EV both inside and out. It features GM's new scalable battery architecture and a spacious cabin environment to hold five passengers easily. The Lyriq offers truly thrilling performance with either a rear-wheel-drive (RWD) or all-wheel-drive powertrain, which will deliver 340 horsepower and 325 lb-ft of torque in the RWD option.
Dealer Community Charging Program
Drivers switching to EVs often have concerns about finding charging stations on their journeys, but as of October 2021, GM has taken action to reduce that worry. Through the Dealer Community Charging Program, GM will work with its dealers to install up to 40,000 Level 2 EV chargers across Canada and the United States in key dealer communities, such as workplaces, sports and entertainment venues, colleges, and colleges, universities, and more.
In all, GM offers several electric vehicles that meet drivers' needs, with many more models making their debut in the coming years.